Undergraduate Admissions

Undergraduate Admissions


Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, American employees of the U.S. Government, and their family members residing within an overseas contracted site may enroll in undergraduate classes through University of Maryland University College Asia, in accordance with the terms of the Department of Defense contract. 

International Students: University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an American public four-year university offering undergraduate courses to members of military communities living in Japan. Classes are offered on military installations and through Online Learning and credit earned can be applied to Associate and Bachelor’s degrees as well as a variety of certificates. Eligible local nationals can take courses with UMUC Asia but certain restrictions do apply. To learn more about the opportunity to study at an American university in Japan, please contact japan-asia@umuc.edu if you are located on Honshu and okinawa-asia@umuc.edu if you are located on Okinawa.

Questions about eligibility should be addressed to the Admissions office, UMUC Asia.

Getting Started

UMUC Program Coordinator and academic advisors stand ready in military communities to provide face-to-face assistance with registration, financial aid, advising appointments, and more. Contact the representative at a field site near you for assistance.

Admission Requirements

Most applicants who have a high school diploma from a regionally accredited or state approved high school in the United States-or the equivalent-can be admitted and registered for undergraduate classes. All students who have not completed at least 24 credits of transferable college coursework, from a regionally accredited university, must submit high school transcripts (or equivalent) by the end of the second term of study at UMUC. Test scores are not required for admission. 

Active duty Army students must complete the Common Application online in the GoArmyEd portal.* All other students can complete the online application for admission.

Students who plan to earn a certificate or degree at UMUC must ensure that official transcripts and documents relating to their educational background (including military documents) are on file with UMUC headquarters by the end of their first term (fall: August-December; spring: January-May; summer: June-July) of attendance with the university.

All home-schooled students must submit documentation prior to their first enrollment from an approved home-school program in accordance with the University System of Maryland requirements for admission of home-schooled students.

Procedures for Admission

To apply for admission, students must complete an undergraduate admission application and pay the nonrefundable fee. Applicants who intentionally provide false information on their application are subject to disciplinary action as detailed on UMUC policy 151.00 Code of Student Conduct. Before attempting to register for class, students must have been officially admitted to the university. Applications for admissions may be submitted online through our online application. Military ID card validation by the local UMUC Asia Program Coordinator or the Admissions Office is required after completing the online application.

Student Status

Upon being admitted to UMUC, students are assigned to regular, provisional, or consortium status. Admission of foreign-educated applicants is governed by requirements listed in the Foreign-Educated Students section which follows under the Special Admissions section of this page.


A qualified applicant who wants to receive credit for courses (whether intending to receive a degree or not) is admitted as a regular student. Admission as a regular student is granted to U.S.-educated applicants who fulfill one of the following academic requirements:

  • Graduation from a state-approved or regionally accredited high school
  • Passing scores on a state high school equivalency exam such as the GED
  • Graduation from a homeschooling or alternative high school program approved by the UMUC Admissions Office (additional admissions documentation may be required)
  • Graduation from an international high school with a credential evaluated as equivalent to a U.S. high school degree by an approved international credentials evaluation agency

An academic probation or dismissal that occurred at least two years before the date of your application for admission has no bearing on your admissions status.

You must submit all official documents of your educational background to UMUC by the end of your second term once you've applied and before your request for an official evaluation. If you provide official transcripts showing at least 24 credits of transferable college credit, you will not be required to submit an official high school transcript or GED scores.


Students requesting provisional admission should first contact the Asia admissions office, who will explain, in detail, what needs to happen and how they can move from provisional to regular status. Two categories of students may be admitted in provisional status:

  • Applicants otherwise eligible for admission who, during the last two years, earned a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) at another college or university and/or were academically dismissed from another college or university (regardless of their cumulative grade point average)
  • Foreign-educated students who meet proof of English language proficiency, otherwise eligible for admission, who have not completed at least 24 credits of transferable college coursework

All provisional students may enroll for a maximum of 7 credits per term (fall: August-December; spring: January‑May; summer: June-July). During their first term of enrollment at UMUC, provisional students in the first category must submit transcripts from all colleges and universities they have attended. After you have successfully completed 7 credits of graded coursework with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher, you may request a change to regular status. Your status is not changed automatically.

If the student's term grade point average at UMUC is less than 2.0, the student is placed on probation. If, while on probation, the student's term grade point average is 2.0 or better, she or he returns to provisional status.

If, while on probation, the student's term and cumulative grade point averages are less than 2.0, he or she is dismissed and must follow the standard procedures that apply to all dismissed students.

Foreign-educated students must submit official transcripts verifying completion of the equivalent of a U.S. secondary education and documentation of English proficiency. They are eligible for regular admission status once UMUC has determined that they have completed the equivalent of a U.S. high school education and all admission requirements have been fulfilled.


Colleges and universities serving the military in Asia work together as a consortium. Students seeking a certificate or degree with a consortium institution can enroll in a limited number of courses with other consortium institutions without paying an additional application fee. These courses must be (a) needed by the student to complete certificate or degree requirements and (b) unavailable from the institution at which the student is seeking to earn the certificate or degree. Note: UMUC Asia extends consortium status to Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) students.

A consortium student who requests an official evaluation from UMUC thereby indicates interest in earning a certificate or degree with UMUC and will be required to pay the UMUC application fee. The student's category will then be changed from consortium to regular.


Undergraduate students who have not attended UMUC for two years or more must submit a new application before they will be allowed to register. However, they need not pay another application fee. Students may reapply by selecting "Apply Online" at my.umuc.edu.

Special Admissions

High School Students - Concurrent Secondary Enrollment

If you are a high school junior or senior, and at least 16 years old, you can take up to 7 credits per semester at UMUC while finishing work toward your high school diploma. To qualify, you must present a transcript with a GPA of at least 3.5 (B+) in your high school academic subjects as well as a written recommendation from a guidance counselor. The Director of Student Services may give permission for a high school student to enroll after the university has received both the high school transcripts and written permission from the appropriate officials at the high school and has spoken with the student. In order for each student to have enough time to prepare for admission, students should begin this process at least 30 days prior to the start of classes.

The student may continue to register as a "concurrent secondary" student until graduation from high school. For purposes of categorization, the student is treated as having provisional status. Once approved, concurrent high school students will be asked to complete an undergraduate admission application and pay the nonrefundable fee. For additional information, students should contact the Student Services Office.

Homeschooled Students

UMUC welcomes homeschooled applicants. All homeschooled students must demonstrate compliance with state and local education regulations. For Maryland students, the home instruction program must comply with the General Regulations of Maryland’s State Board of Education (13A.10.01). In addition to a completed application for admission, please submit the following required documents:

  • Transcript, which includes grades, cumulative GPA, and date degree awarded
  • Brief outline describing course content and instructional materials
  • Information on the homeschooling regulations of the state where you were educated

The optional documents (listed below) can be submitted in addition to the above required documents to assist in the admissions decision.

Optional admission documents:

  • Any nationally standardized tests scores available (e.g. SAT or ACT scores)
  • Letters of recommendation (professional and/or academic)

Please send these documents to aeadmissions@umuc.edu with the subject line of “Homeschooled Applicant.”

Note: If the admissions department deems that the requirement above is not met, acceptable GED scores may be requested for admission purposes. 

Transfer to and from UMUC Stateside or UMUC Europe

Transfers between UMUC campuses (Asia, Stateside, and Europe) are simple and free! It is important for students to notify UMUC when they relocate to a new duty station so residency and tuition may be accurately determined. Students who previously attended classes with UMUC Stateside or UMUC Europe within the previous two years must submit a divisional transfer through MyUMUC:

Student Center > drop down menu (in Academics box) > Divisional Transfer

Please complete the required information (only the boxes that are starred are required, all others may or may not apply to you and will not hinder submission of your request). Should you have questions concerning the form or transfer itself, please feel free to contact the Admissions Office.

Admission of College Graduates

A student who received a bachelor's degree from an approved U.S. institution is automatically admissible to UMUC as a regular (undergraduate) student upon submission of the admission application and fee. A former graduate student in the University System of Maryland whose time limit in a program has expired may also be admitted as a regular (undergraduate) student. Students who have been admitted to UMUC as graduate students may take undergraduate courses only when satisfying approved prerequisites or as part of an approved articulation agreement. Students may be admitted as either undergraduate or graduate, but may not be admitted in both categories at the same time.

Foreign-Educated Students

Prior to being considered for admission to the university, prospective students educated outside of the United States will need to provide documentation of both English proficiency and the equivalency of a U.S. secondary education. Prospective students who were educated outside of the United States will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Applicants educated outside of the United States may not be admitted until college-level proficiency in written English is demonstrated in one of the following ways:
  • A score of at least 550 on a written version, 213 on a computer-based version, or 79 on the Internet-based version of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). The TOEFL school code for UMUC is 5804. Information about the exam and administration of it is found at: www.toefl.com.
  • A score of at least 6.5 on the International English Language Test System (IELTS), including the academic writing and reading modules.
  • A minimum score of Grade Pre-1 on the EIKEN Test in practical English proficiency.
  • A grade of C or higher in an English composition course from an approved U.S. college or university.
  • Graduation from a U.S. high school or approved university.

2. If the applicant has earned fewer than 24 credits at an approved U.S. college or university, completion of the equivalent of a U.S. secondary education must be verified by:


  • Official score report showing successful completion of the U.S. GED exam with a total score of at least 600 and a minimum score of 150 on each section (for exams after January 2014), 2250 and a minimum score of 410 on each section (for exams between January 2002 and January 2014), or a total score of 225 and a minimum score of 40 on each section (for exams prior to January 2002).

Until verification of the completion of secondary education is received by UMUC, the student is admitted provisionally, for one term only, and may register for a maximum of 7 credits if proof of English proficiency is met. Once verification is received, the student's status is changed to regular and he or she may register for up to 18 credits. Students are not permitted to register for subsequent terms until verification is received.

All documentation should be sent to:

File Management
Attn: Incoming Transcripts
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783-8070 USA

Applicants who were educated in one of the following countries meet the English Language Requirement:

  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Botswana
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cameroon
  • Canada (except Quebec)
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Falkland Islands
  • Fiji
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • Malawi
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Micronesia
  • Namibia
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Philippines
  • Puerto Rico
  • Seychelles
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • St. Catalina
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Swaziland
  • Tanzania
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom (Scotland, England, Wales)
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

In addition to providing proof of English proficiency, the applicant must meet the Admission Requirements noted previously. Students will be denied admission to UMUC Asia in the absence of at least one of the above requirements. Students should contact their local academic advisor if they have questions about their eligibility. GoArmyEd students must provide the same documentation, but should send it to their local academic advisor before registering.*


UMUC Asia conducts five sessions of eight-week duration each academic year. The academic year begins in August and ends the following mid-August. Session dates for the current academic year may be found on our online calendar. There may be variations in session dates to accommodate military exercises or deployments. Undergraduate face-to-face (on-site) and online classes are generally eight weeks long. On-site classes are usually held on or near military installations and registration is held at education centers or online at MyUMUC. Army students must register for all classes through the GoArmyEd portal.*

For more information, visit enrollment.