In general, the UMUC degree requirements that apply to a student are those that were in effect when the student began continuous enrollment in any public institution of higher education in Maryland (including UMUC). If a student has not been continuously enrolled, the requirements that apply are those in effect at UMUC when the student resumes continuous enrollment. To be considered continuously enrolled, degree-seeking students must be, or have been, enrolled at UMUC or a Maryland public institution of higher education and have had no more than two sequential years of non-enrollment. When a continuously enrolled student chooses to change his or her degree program, the student may be subject to the degree requirements in effect at the time of the change.
The following requirements for the BA and BS are applicable to students who enroll on or after August 1, 2012.
Major, Minor, and Elective Requirements
Academic Major (30-38 cr.)
The number of credits required to complete an academic major varies according to the academic program. At least half the credits earned within the major must be upper level (i.e., earned in courses numbered 300 and higher) and must be earned through UMUC. No grade may be lower than C. Specific coursework is prescribed for each major and is described in the following section.
Students may receive a dual major on completion of all requirements for both majors, including the required minimum number of credits for each major and all related requirements for both majors. However, the same course may not be used to fulfill requirements for more than one major.
Certain restrictions apply for double majors (including use of credit and acceptable combinations of majors). Students may not major in two programs with excessive overlap of required coursework. Students should consult an Academic Advisor before selecting a double major.
Academic Minor (15-17 cr.)
Choosing a minor is strongly encouraged even though it is optional for all but accounting majors. Students may not take a major and minor in the same area and may not receive a dual minor. The number of credits required to complete an academic minor varies according to the academic program. At least half the credits earned within the minor must be upper level (unless otherwise specified) and must be earned through UMUC. No grade may be lower than a C. Specific coursework is prescribed for each minor and is described in the following section.
Electives (24-34 cr.)
Electives may be taken in any academic discipline. No more than 21 credits may consist of vocational or technical credit. Pass/fail credit, up to a maximum of 18 credits, may be applied toward electives only.
Total Major, Minor, and Elective Requirements 70-79 cr.
Overall Bachelor's Degree Requirements
In addition to the general education requirements and the major, minor, and elective requirements listed above, the requirements listed below pertain to all bachelor's degrees:
- Students must complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Students must maintain a minimum overall grade-point average of 2.0 (C) and a minimum grade of C for any course applied to the academic major or minor.
- Within the 120 credits required, the following coursework must be taken through UMUC:
- 30 credits (normally the final 30)
- Half of the required number of credits within both the major and the minor
- 15 credits at the upper level (i.e., earned in courses numbered 300 to 499), preferably within the major or minor
- At least 45 credits must be upper level and include:
- At least one half of the credits required for the major
- 3 credits in advanced writing
- At least half the required number of credits for any academic major or minor must be earned through graded coursework. Credit earned by examination, portfolio assessment, or non-collegiate training does not count as graded coursework.