Common to all degree programs are the general education requirements. The subjects selected provide a solid cultural and intellectual foundation for the remainder of the student's education. Baccalaureate-level General Education Requirements are shown below.
Note: Courses applied to general education requirements may not be applied toward major, minor, or elective requirements and may not be taken pass/fail.
- Communications (12 cr.)
- WRTG 101 or WRTG 101S (3 cr.)
Must be completed within first 18 credits. Placement test required for WRTG 101. May not be earned through credit by examination.
- Another writing course (3 cr.)
All 3-credit WRTG courses (except WRTG 288, 388, 486A, or 486B); ENGL 102; and JOUR 201 apply.
- A course in communication, writing, or speech (3 cr.)
All 3-credit COMM, SPCH, and WRTG courses (except 486A and 486B); ENGL 102, 281, and 384; and JOUR 201 apply.
- An upper-level advanced writing course (3 cr.)
WRTG 391, 393, and 394 apply. May not be earned through credit by examination.
No more than 3 credits in writing may be earned through credit by examination.
- WRTG 101 or WRTG 101S (3 cr.)
- Arts and Humanities (6 cr.)
- One 3-credit course that offers a historical perspective (any 3-credit ARTH or HIST course).
- One 3-credit course chosen from the following disciplines: ARTH, ARTT, ASTD (check course description for applicability), ENGL (except 281 and 384), GRCO, HIST, HUMN, MUSC, PHIL, THET, dance, or foreign language.
The two courses must be in different disciplines.
- Behavioral and Social Sciences (6 cr.)
One 3-credit course each in two of the following disciplines: AASP (AASP 201 only), ANTH, ASTD ((check course description for applicability), BEHS, CCJS (CCJS 100, 105, 350, 360, 432, 453, 454, and 461 only), ECON, GEOG, GERO (except GERO 342, 351, and 353), GVPT, PSYC, SOCY, or WMST (WMST 200 only).
- Biological and Physical Sciences (7 cr.)
- A science lecture course (3 cr.) with related laboratory course (1 cr.) or a science course combining lecture and laboratory (4 cr.)
- Any other science course (3 cr.)
Courses from the following disciplines fulfill both requirements: ASTR, BIOL, CHEM, GEOL, NSCI, PHYS, biotechnology, botany, entomology, general science, and zoology.
- Mathematics (3 cr.)
MATH 103, MATH 106, MATH 107, or a course at or above the level of college algebra. Must be completed within first 18 credits with UMUC. Placement test required.
Note: Either MATH 115 or MATH 107 and MATH 108 are required for the computer science major and environmental management major, as well as the mathematics focus within the general studies major. Students should refer to the specific major for recommendations or requirements.
- Interdisciplinary or Emerging Issues (7 cr.)
- One course (LIBS 150) in Introduction to Research (1 cr.), which must be completed within the first 18 credits with UMUC.
- A total of 6 credits in computing courses, as follows:
- IFSM 201 or CMST 303 (3 cr.)
- An additional computing course appropriate to the academic major (3 cr.)
- Students should refer to the specific major for requirements or recommendations. Unless otherwise specified, upper-level and lower-level courses in CMIS, CMIT, CMSC, CMST, CSIA, and IFSM, and ACCT 326 apply.
Note: IFSM 300 is required for business-related majors.
Total General Education Requirements: 41 cr.