UMUC aims to produce graduates who are well prepared to be responsible citizens of a global society as well as effective participants in the complex, fast-changing world of work. A bachelor's degree from UMUC offers a multidimensional experience, combining an educational foundation with cross-curricular breadth and focused study in an academic discipline. That experience is designed to help UMUC graduates develop intellectual ability, curiosity, and flexibility; fundamental skills in reasoning, analysis, and expression; understanding of the principles of scientific and intellectual inquiry; awareness of global and historical contexts; and civic and ethical responsibility.
The UMUC degree begins with basic intellectual tools, using the general education and other degree requirements to provide opportunities for students to acquire the knowledge and skills they need to demonstrate the hallmarks of the educated person:
- Effective writing and oral communication skills
- Competence in the use of information technology
- Competence in information literacy skills
- Competence in mathematical and quantitative reasoning skills
- Competence in critical analysis, critical reasoning, and problem solving
- Understanding of key concepts and principles of the natural, social, and behavioral sciences
- Knowledge of diverse cultures and historical periods
- Understanding of frameworks for ethical decision making and the ability to apply them
UMUC conducts learning outcomes assessments to measure and improve student learning in these areas as well as in specific disciplinary knowledge and skills.
In pursuit of an academic major (and minor), the UMUC student has the ability to master a considerable body of knowledge in a specific academic subject area or group of related subjects. Each major provides clearly articulated learning outcomes for the knowledge, skills, and abilities a student is expected to acquire in completing the major.