Common to all degree programs are the general education requirements. The subjects selected provide a solid cultural and intellectual foundation for the remainder of the student's education. Associate-level General Education Requirements are shown below. Students should contact an Academic Adisor to chart their degree plan to ensure that they meet the necessary requirements.
Note: Courses applied to general education requirements may not be applied toward major, minor, or elective requirements and may not be taken pass/fail.
- Communications (9 cr.)
WRTG 101/WRTG 101S Introduction to Writing (3 cr.)
Must be completed within the first 18 credits with UMU. Placement test required for WRTG 101. May not be earned through credit by examination.
- Another writing course (3 credits)
All 3-credit WRTG courses (except WRTG 288, 388, 486A, or 486B); ENGL 102; and JOUR 201 apply.
- A course in communication, writing, or speech (3 credits)
All 3-credit COMM, SPCH, and WRTG courses (except 486A and 486B); ENGL 102, 281, and 384; and JOUR 201 apply.
No more than three credits in writing may be earned through credit by examination.
- WRTG 101/WRTG 101S Introduction to Writing (3 cr.)
- Arts and Humanities (6 cr.)
- One 3-credit course that offers a historical perspective (any 3-credit ARTH or HIST course except ARTH 100)
- One 3-credit course chosen from the following disciplines: ARTH, ARTT, ASTD (depending on course content), ENGL (except ENGL 281 and 384) GRCO, HIST, HUMN, MUSC, PHIL, THET, dance, literature, or foreign language.
Note: The two courses must be in different disciplines.
- Behavioral and Social Sciences (6 cr.)
One 3-credit course each in two of the following disciplines: AASP (AASP 201 only), ANTH, ASTD (depending on course content), BEHS, CCJS (CCJS 100, 105, 350, 360, 432, 453, 454, and 461 only), ECON, GEOG, GERO (except GERO 342, 351, and 353), GVPT, PSYC, SOCY, or WMST (WMST 200 only).
- Biological and Physical Sciences (7 cr.)
- A science lecture course (3 cr.) with related laboratory course (1 cr.) or a science course combining lecture and laboratory (4 cr.)
- Any other science course (3 cr.)
Note: Courses from the following disciplines may satisfy both requirements: ASTR, BIOL, CHEM, GEOL, NSCI, PHYS, biotechnology, botany, entomology, general science, and zoology.
- Mathematics (3 cr.)
MATH 103, MATH 106, MATH 107, or a course at or above the level of college algebra.
Students should refer to the specific curriculum for requirements or recommendations.
Must be completed within the first 18 credits with UMUC. Placement test required.
- Interdisciplinary or Emerging Issues (4 cr.)
One course (LIBS 150) in information literacy and research methods (1 credit), which must be completed within the first 18 credits with UMUC.
IFSM 201 (3 credits)