- High-Quality 3-credit College Courses
- Earn college credits anytime, anywhere!
- Open Enrollment (Students choose when to pick up course materials and start the course)
- Self-paced Multimedia Learning to be completed within 10 weeks
- Tuition Assistance and Spouse Tuition Assistance apply to CAT courses
The Computer Aided Telecourse (CAT) program is a self-paced multimedia learning system designed to augment the traditional course offerings of University of Maryland University College (UMUC) in Asia. CAT is designed to fulfill the educational needs of highly motivated students whose duties, location, or personal schedule may prevent them from attending regularly scheduled courses.
CAT students start the course when the course materials are picked up. The course must be completed within ten weeks. The student is responsible for setting the study schedule, arranging for all proctored exams, and finishing the program within the scheduled period of time.
What you need to get started
All you need to take a CAT course are:
- A computer (Windows or Mac) with a CD-ROM drive
- Software to open MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and QuickTime files
- Active and accessible e-mail account
CAT has no Web-based participation requirement.
CAT Course Offerings
The UMUC Asia 300 and 400 level courses are intended for experienced college students in their junior or senior years. We recommend careful consideration of the syllabus requirements before you enroll.
Click the course title to see the syllabus.
NOTE: Please check the course description to view any course prerequisites. You will not be able to enroll in a course if you have not completed prerequisites.
Sign up now!
- ASTR 100 Introduction to Astronomy
- BIOL 302 Bacteria, Viruses, and Health
- BMGT 110 Intro. to Business & Mgmt.
- BMGT 364 Mgmt. and Org. Theory
- BMGT 392 Global Business Management
- GVPT 408 Counterterrorism
- HIST 156 History of the U.S. to 1865
- HIST 157 History of the U.S. since 1865
- PSYC 100 Introduction to Psychology
- SOCY 100 Introduction to Sociology
Registration is easy! Just visit one of UMUC’s Field Representative offices and request to enroll in “CAT.” Students can register for CAT courses at any time during Field Representatives' Office hours.
Text materials for CAT are ordered by your local Field Representative. Students must purchase the CAT course materials from UMUC through their local Field Representative. Purchase of used materials is not allowed.
Student Course Packet Contents
- Course Textbook
- CD-ROM containing
- Student Notebook Document: CAT overview, Course Syllabus, Individual Lessons
- Chapter Content folders (including Chapter Summaries, Course Objectives, Quizzes and Answers)
Tuition & Fees
Tuition and fees are payable at the time of registration. Our UMUC Asia tuition rate is coordinated with the US government and is applicable to all Asia students taking DE classes through UMUC Asia, Europe, and Adelphi. Tuition and fees are subject to change.
A list of fees is available from the current UMUC Asia Catalog.
CAT courses require proctored quizzes and/or exams. Some may have a proctored midterm exam and a final exam. Grading information and testing criteria are included on each course syllabus. The UMUC staff at the installation where the student registers for the CAT course provide the proctoring service. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the site and to schedule test times. Students who will not be at a UMUC Asia field site during the term may arrange another proctor, using the Alternate Location/Proctor Form.
Each CAT course has a Course Manager who is a UMUC faculty member with expertise in the particular field of study. The responsibility of the course manager is to grade all work and tests submitted by the student, and to act as an advisor to answer questions a student may have regarding the course material. In most cases, student will probably have limited contact with the course manager. Student interaction with the course manager is normally by e-mail or telephone.
For more information, please contact your local Field Representative.